top of page


Hampshire Schools

Specialist Educational Provision for Students with Dyslexia in Hampshire

Educational provision for specific learning difficulties (dyslexia) in Hampshire’s mainstream secondary schools. 

All Hampshire secondary schools provide: access to literacy (and numeracy) programmes which are designed to meet pupils’ individual needs and which can be practised and supported across the curriculum access to ongoing review and assessment procedures teachers and support staff with expertise in meeting the needs of pupils with specific learning difficulties (SpLD), including Wave 3 interventions, Quality First Teaching and the Inclusion Development Programme (IDP) for dyslexia and speech, language and communication needs.

In addition, secondary schools with resourced SpLD provision provide:

  • access to highly skilled specialist teaching and in-class support

  • access to a peer group experiencing similar difficulties, so there is shared understanding and emotional support

  • an inclusive whole school ethos in which SpLD are particularly accepted, understood and allowed for but where pupils’ strengths are acknowledged and stretched

  • an environment in which the emotional impact of the SpLD is recognised and managed

  • access to a wide range of appropriate learning resources including ICT.

Teacher with young children

During Key Stage 3 pupils allocated resourced places are expected to be provided with a minimum of two hours per week teaching support, either individually or in a very small group, from a teacher with specialist qualifications relating to work with dyslexic pupils. Additional support is also available from teaching assistants, either in a withdrawal situation or within the classroom, to enable the pupil to access the curriculum. This balance of provision may change during Key Stage 4.

The criteria for a place in one of these Resource Bases can be found in the green County booklet – your School SENCO will have a copy. Reading and/or spelling ages falling well below the chronological age of the pupil would be an important factor in the selection for referral and admission.

Eligible children need not have a Statement, but would be expected to have been seen by an Educational Psychologist or an SEN Inspector/Adviser. As a result they would be on the Special Needs Register. The child’s IEP would suggest that he or she would benefit from further specialist teaching.

Ideally, applications are made in the Summer Term of Year 5 to be with the LAPAG (Local Assessment and Placement Advisory Group) committee at the start of the Autumn Term of Year 6. Before applying, the Primary school SENCO will have discussed the implications for the child attending a school out of catchment and the family will have been encouraged to visit the nearest Resource Base.

The six resource bases are at:

Independent Schools

  • Mayville High School in Southsea

This caters for boys and girls from 4 to 16 years. “Mayville prides itself on providing educational programmes suited to the individual. In our small classes, we aim to extend the able pupil whilst supporting those who find academic work more difficult.

Some pupils need additional help and this is provided through the facilities of our Dyslexia Unit, Target Reading and Target Numeracy Schemes and computerised support programmes including Successmaker.”

Contact the school on 023 9273 4847 or go to


Find a Private Tutor

Please find below a list of private tutors who have applied to be on our local tutor list.

  • Contact tutors individually and explain what you need, ensuring that they can provide exactly the service that you are looking for.

  • Find out what their fees will be per hour or per session.

  • Where and when will tuition take place?

  • Discuss the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) certificate with each person individually as HDA does not accept responsibility for this information.

Download a pdf version of

the HDA private tutor list

Tutor with a young child

Find an assessor



Please find below a list assessors who can assess for dyslexia and consider indications of other specific learning difficulties such as dyspraxia, dyscalculia and dysgraphia.


Contact any of the assessors on this list and confirm:


  • The cost of the assessment (as a rule an Educational Psychologist Assessment will be more expensive than a Specialist Teacher Assessment).

  • Where it will take place

  • How long it will last

  • How soon you can expect the report

  • Whether you need the assessment for a funding body, such as Student Finance England, to provide evidence for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). Please check with the assessor that they have the appropriate registrations for this evidence.

Assessor with young chid

Download a pdf version of

the HDA assessor list

Hampshire Dyslexia Association has verified the qualifications of the assessors on this list. However, please discuss the DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check with your assessor as HDA does not take responsibility for this.

Higher Education

Higher Education - Help for Higher Education Students

About to apply for University?


For help with your application go to


Th UCAS website offers a wealth of information that will help you make the right decisions for your future in education. 

Good luck with your application and we hope you get a place on the course you want!

Yellow Backpack

University Support

All universities will have a team of support staff to assist students with disabilities, including dyslexia. (e.g. Southampton University – Enabling Services). It is advised that you contact your university and register with their specialist team as soon as you have your offer.


The Disabled Students Allowance

This is a government funded grant for students of all ages in Higher Education to cover any additional costs associated with a disability.

All UK students with a disability (including dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia) are eligible to apply. A full up to date diagnostic assessment is required as supporting evidence when applying for the DSA Reports may include recommendations regarding exam access arrangements.

Access to Work (AtW) is a publicly funded employment support programme that aims to help more people with disabilities, including specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, start or stay in work. It can provide practical and financial support for people who have a disability or long term physical or mental health condition.


Support can be provided where someone needs help or adaptations beyond reasonable adjustments. An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support to help employees stay in work; AtW is also available to self-employed people with disabilities.

Dyslexia in the Workplace


Workplace Assessors

Workplace Assessors

Name: Mike Littler

Area: Chandlers Ford

Age Range: Adult

Telephone: 07795432778


Workplace: Workplace Needs Assessments

bottom of page